Creek Audio has been in the fight for 40 years and when it launched its first amplifier, the £99 Creek CAS4040 back in 1982, it created quite a stir. Mike Creek started his quest almost a decade earlier, and has managed in a rather understated way to offer some of the best affordable integrated amplifiers and phono preamplifiers available.
The brand has not been aggressive on social media which has kept it out of the spotlight, but that doesn’t negate the inherent value present in all of its products; Mike Creek builds really solid audio components. You would be hard pressed to find those within the industry who will dispute that; some of us wish that he would be more forthcoming with review samples but we’re working on that aspect of the story.
2022 ends with a blast from the past in the form of the new Creek Audio 4040 A Integrated Amplifier. The 4040 A is a rather compact integrated amplifier with streaming capabilities thanks to support for Bluetooth aptX HD and a myriad of digital inputs for network and CD players.
The Creek 4040 A also offers support for MM and high-output MC carts with an optional plug-in board.
Control: The 4040 A’s intuitive user interface and the sophisticated menu system is easily navigated either by remote control or rotary control knobs.
Pre-Amplifier: The “Feature Rich” 4040 A contains three analog signal inputs, including two pairs of unbalanced RCA sockets and one pair of fully balanced XLR sockets. The electronic volume control enables precise 1dB adjustment over a 70dB range. Left/right balance, tone controls and EQ settings, further enhance its flexibility.
Phono: Compatible with an optional plug-in Sequel mk4 Phono Pre-amp in place of Aux 2 to match a wide range of Moving Magnet and high-output Moving Coil cartridges.
Headphone Amp: A dedicated headphone amplifier will drive a wide range of headphones via a front panel-mounted jack socket.
Digital Inputs: USB, coax SPDIF, optical Toslink, USB class 2 and aptX Bluetooth 5.0 increase the flexibility of this amplifier.
DAC: The 4040 A leverages the power of a premier grade ES9023 Sabre DAC to convert digital signals into analogue.
Power Amplifier: The 4040A employs cutting-edge MERUS™ technology to enable it to drive even the most difficult loads to realistic listening levels with high fidelity.
Power Supply: The key to the 4040A integrated amplifier’s impressive performance is in its high-frequency power supply, optimised for audio electronics, enabling the latent quality of its amplifier to be realized. The 4040A’s performance is unaffected by mains quality or voltage stability.
Unlike most conventional amplifiers, its 250-Watt power supply is voltage stabilized, enabling it to double its power output each time the load impedance is halved, regardless of the mains voltage.
Energy Savings: Signal sensing enables the 4040 A to reduce power consumption by powering down non-essential circuitry when not required.
- Power output: 35 W into 8 Ohms, 70 W into 4 Ohms, both channels driven
- Continuous max output current: >8A, current limited
- THD and Noise: <0.01%
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 102dBA Aux input, loaded
- Frequency Response: 1Hz to 50 kHz, +/-3dB
- Input sensitivity: 400mV for 35W into 8 Ohms, Aux 1 and 2 inputs
- Crosstalk: >100dB at 1 kHz
- Pre-Amp Inputs: 2x RCA (unbalanced) and 1x XLR (balanced)
- Plug-in Phono options: Aux 2 changes to Phono with a Sequel mk4 MM Phono fitted
- Digital inputs: 1x coaxial, 1x optical, 1x USB 2.0 PCM & DSD, Bluetooth aptX HD
- Digital to Analogue Converter: ES9023 Sabre premier stereo DAC
- Loudspeaker Outputs: 4mm binding posts with rear and side entry, plus a spade lug
- Speaker output impedance: <0.02 Ohms 20Hz to 20 kHz. Damping factor >400 into 8 Ohms
- Headphone Output socket: 6.3mm stereo jack socket for 30 – 300 Ohm headphones
- Mains input voltage range: 100V to 240V nominal, 50Hz or 60Hz (automatic multi-region)
- Fuse: Built into the power supply and not user serviceable.
- Power Consumption: 5W, 250W, <0.5W – Idle, Max, Standby
- Auto Standby: The amp will switch off automatically after an adjustable pre-set time, with no signal, or standby can be defeated in Menu.
- Finish colours: Optional silver or black front panel. Black outer cover only
- Weight: 2kgs (4.4 lbs) net, 3kgs (6.6 lbs) gross (packed)
- Size W/H/D: 21.5 x 6 x 25.5 cm (17 x 3 x 13.8”) including feet, knobs, LS terminals and BT antenna.
For more information: Creek Audio 4040 A Integrated Amplifier